Uber is on the lookout for a top-notch DevOps Engineer to join our Core Infrastructure team. This role involves building out systems that delight our quickly growing product engineering teams, enabling the whole engineering org to iterate at top speed in an open, decentralized environment. Systems management and automation is the name of the game here - in development, testing, staging and production. If you love working on software products that touch the physical world and want some serious experience under exponential growth conditions, this is it.
As a member of the Infrastructure group, you'll have free reign over the universe of Uber code, and a license to improve developers' interactions with it wherever you find inefficiencies. You'll be expected to act as an "engineer for the engineers," helping others understand the architectures and platforms underlying their features. You should have a demonstrable ability to debug complicated failures and be able to grok complex systems from their roadmaps all the way down to their syscalls.
Skills we are looking for:
- Programming skillz. First and foremost, you should be a passable programmer. This role will require the ability to understand others' code and to write your own for some automation tasks.
- Operating Systems. Experience in the Linux environment and a good understanding of its fundamentals. If you can create Debian packages in less than 10 minutes, we are dying to meet you. A solid understanding of filesystems and modern memory management, threads and processes, the user/kernel-space divide, and all those other implementation details that keep the gears turning.
- Configuration management. Puppet, Chef, etc.
- Monitoring tools. Nagios, Graphite, etc.
- Data stores. Experience with a big relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL) and cache layers (memcached, Redis). You should be able to write some basic SQL statements.
- Networking. Good working knowledge of TCP/IP.
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- Monthly gym reimbursement.
- We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.