For nearly 200 years alumni of the two ancient universities have chosen to take up membership and enjoy the outstanding amenities and sophisticated setting of a Grade II*-listed Clubhouse in the very heart of London.
The Oxford and Cambridge Club’s first class facilities include a spacious, private and well-appointed Club house, the Club enables members to meet friends and colleagues in magnificent surroundings, host a party, relax or simply find a quiet place to work. With an elegant Coffee Room (the traditional name for the principal dining room), a second dining room, two bars, sports facilities, several sitting rooms, a well maintained library with the services of its own librarian, a business area and a variety of rooms that members can hire for social or business purposes and over 45 bedrooms, the Oxford and Cambridge Club is ideally located for entertaining, relaxation and business.
Membership, which is by election, is open to those people who have received a degree or honorary degree from either the University of Oxford or the University of Cambridge, have been granted MA status or have been admitted as a full member of a college or hall in either university, or are members of the Congregation of the University of Oxford or the Regent House of the University of Cambridge.
The Oxford and Cambridge Club is a traditional London Club. The Club is the result of a number of amalgamations of university clubs, most recently that of 1972 between the United University Club, founded in 1821, and the Oxford and Cambridge University Club, founded in 1830. From 1972 until 2001 the Club was known as the "United Oxford and Cambridge University Club". In its first year, the Club was housed at 1 Suffolk Street and thereafter at 71 and 77 Pall Mall.
The Club house, a Grade II* listed building, was designed for the Oxford and Cambridge University Club by Sir Robert Smirke (perhaps best known for the British Museum). It was opened in 1838. The facade is an important example of the Greek revival style with which Smirke was particularly associated. In 1952 the Club extended its premises to incorporate the neighbouring house, 77 Pall Mall, formerly the home of Princess Marie Louise, a granddaughter of Queen Victoria.
The foundation of the Oxford and Cambridge Club dates from a meeting of members from the two universities held at the British Coffee House, 27 Cockspur Street on 17 May 1830, with Lord Palmerston in the chair. The meeting resolved that a Club consisting of members of both universities should be formed ‘for the association of individuals educated at those universities and for promoting and continuing a mutual interest and fellowship between them.’
To the present day, that has been our enduring ethos.
At the Oxford and Cambridge Club we look for people who are:
The Club offers competitive salaries along with excellent benefits which include:
Our Chef de Partie, Joe gave an account of what a Day in The Life is like at The Oxford and Cambridge Club. Read all about why you should join our team here: https://blog.jobbio.com/2017/02/06/day-in-the-life-chef-de-partie-oxford-and-cambridge-club/